West Liberty was founded back in 1838, long before the railroads arrived. Originally, as far as railroading goes, it was notable as the junction point between the Rock Island's east-west mainline (now the IAIS main) and the Rock's former north-south BCR&N mainline from Manly, Iowa, south through Cedar Rapids, West Liberty, and finally to Burlington. It was also where the double track west from Chicago narrowed down to single track as it headed west towards Des Moines and Omaha.

Today, West Liberty is the site of a major intermodal ramp on the IAIS, located just west of town along old US 6. This facility was opened 27-Jan-1997. The Rock's 1897 depot is restored, and serves as a park. The BCR&N mainline is gone, and the IAIS mainline is only a single track.
West Liberty Depot, looking west, on 26-Aug-2004
West Liberty Depot, looking west, on 26-Aug-2004
By: NDHolmes
Viewed: 1530 times.
IAIS 413 and the BICB switch the West Liberty intermodal ramp on 9-Aug-2004.  Looking west...
IAIS 413 and the BICB switch the West Liberty intermodal ramp on 9-Aug-2004. Looking west...
By: NDHolmes
Viewed: 1408 times.
2 images in this album.
[Login]
All images on this site are copyrighted by their respective creators, and used with permission.
All Iowa Interstate logos and trademarks are property of Iowa Interstate Railroad, Ltd. and Railroad Development Corporation.
Questions? Comments? Please email us at contact@iaisrailfans.org
  Last modified on August 14, 2005 at 15:32.