Main.Subdivision3 History

Show minor edits - Show changes to output

Changed lines 49-80 from:
(:tableend:)
to:
(:tableend:)

[[#sub3b]]
[!IAIS Subdivision 3B!]

On 1 Sep 2010, IAIS assumed dispatching of the [[CRANDIC]] Third Sub from [[Yocum Connection]] (milepost 21.8) to Fairfax (milepost 8.l). This line was deemed IAIS Subdivision 3B.

[tt]IOWA INTERSTATE RAILROAD - SUBDIVISION 3B
[notes]YOCUM CONNECTION, IA, TO FAIRFAX, IA
[notes]Maximum Speed: Unknown Length: 8.1 miles
[notes]Entire line Track Warrant Control
[notes]Radio: IAIS - 161.220 MHz and 160.305 MHz
[notes]Radio: CIC - 161.055 MHz and 160.500 MHz
[s]8.1 | Fairfax | | |North end of IAIS [[Subdivision3#sub3b | Sub 3B]][[<<]]Connection with [[CRANDIC]] Third Sub
[s]11.6 | Walford | | |
[i]17.1 | East Amana | | |MP approximate - not on CIC timetable
[s]18.4 | Amana | | |
[s]19.7 | Amana Refrigeration| | |
[s]21.8 | Yocum Connection | | |Junction with IAIS [[Subdivision 3]][[<<]]Became IAIS [[Subdivision3#sub3b | Sub 3B]] Sep 2010
[ttend]

''Timetable Legend:''
(:table:)
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Station-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-info":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Points of Interest-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Abandoned-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Trackage Rights-]&nbsp; &nbsp;

(:tableend:)
Changed lines 37-49 from:
[ttend]
to:
[ttend]

''Timetable Legend:''
(:table:)
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Station-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-info":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Points of Interest-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Abandoned-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:cell:)[-= Trackage Rights-]&nbsp; &nbsp;
(:tableend:)
Added line 23:
[i]~248.5 | ''Detector'' | | |[-'''MP approximate, detector not yet operational'''-]
Changed line 2 from:
(:menulocation Railfan Guide:Subdivision 3:)
to:
(:menulocation Operations:Subdivision 3:)
Added lines 12-36:

[tt]IOWA INTERSTATE RAILROAD - THIRD SUBDIVISION
[notes]IOWA CITY, IA, TO NEWTON, IA
[notes]Maximum Speed: 40 MPH Length: 85.7 miles
[notes]Entire line Track Warrant Control
[notes]Radio: IAIS - 161.220 MHz and 160.305 MHz
[s]114.2 | Bureau, IL | 5290| Yard|Junction with [[Subdivision 1]]
[s]236.8 | Iowa City, IA |10000| Yard|Junction with [[Subdivision 1]][[<<]][[CRANDIC]] interchange
[s]241.0 | Vernon | | Yes|Near Coralville Mall
[s]242.7 | Hawkeye | 1270| Yes|
[i]244.6 | Tiffin | | |[-'''MP approximate, not official IAIS station'''-]
[s]251.5 | Oxford | | Yes|
[s]256.6 | Homestead | 2995| |
[s]259.0 | Yocum Connection| | Wye|Formerly Crandic Junction[[<<]]Connection to [[CRANDIC]] line to Cedar Rapids
[i]262.1 | South Amana | | |[-'''MP approximate, not official IAIS station'''-]
[s]267.3 | Marengo | 5330| Yes|
[s]273.9 | Ladora | | Yes|
[s]279.9 | Victor | | Yes|
[s]287.7 | Brooklyn | 7835| Yes|
[s]293.7 | Malcom | | Yes|
[s]297.3 | Ascalon | | |
[s]302.7 | Grinnell | 4110| Yes|UP Crossing
[s]313.8 | Kellogg | 3955| Yes|
[s]322.5 | Newton, IA | 6100| Yard|Junction with [[Subdivision 4]]
[ttend]
Changed lines 7-11 from:
In the Iowa Interstate era, two major changes have occurred with the route. The first was the Newton yard relocation. Originally located near the heart of town, it was moved out to the northeastern edge sometime in the late 1990s (1997?). This was done to make room for Maytag expansion for their new corporate headquarters and additional parking. The new yard includes the new Lee Horst Transportation Center, which in addition to providing intermodal services, also includes a small shop facility. The facility is named in honor of Lee Horst, a former General Road Foreman on IAIS and career railroad man who passed on in 2002.
to:
In the Iowa Interstate era, two major changes have occurred with the route. The first was the Newton yard relocation. Originally located near the heart of town, it was moved out to the northeastern edge sometime in the late 1990s (1997?). This was done to make room for Maytag expansion for their new corporate headquarters and additional parking. The new yard includes the new Lee Horst Transportation Center, which in addition to providing intermodal services, also includes a small shop facility. The facility is named in honor of Lee Horst, a former General Road Foreman on IAIS and career railroad man who passed on in 2002.

Secondly, the connection between the IAIS mainline and the CRANDIC line (former Milwaukee line) near Homestead was rebuilt to have an eastern leg, forming a wye. Placed into service 11-Feb-2000, this formerly seldom-used junction was re-christened Yocum Connection, in honor of Fred Yocum, a former president of IAIS. This is now the major interchange point between IAIS and the CRANDIC, eliminating most of the need for the hill track in Iowa City. It also worked out well for the new ICCR/CRIC trains, which can run straight through the junction without any sort of runaround to get lined up.

Today's operations on the Third Sub include the two mainline trains - CBBI and BICB - as well as daily sets of ICCR/CRIC interchange trains. CBBI generally starts the day in Newton, switching and preparing for the run east. Somewhere in the late morning, it departs Newton eastbound. On the other end of the sub, RIIC (Rock Island - Iowa City, off the First Sub) is the first into Iowa City in the mornings. It switches out what it needs to and proceeds west as ICCR (Iowa City - Cedar Rapids) sometime around 1000h-1200h. Behind it, BICB typically arrives in Iowa City around noon (though this varies significantly). ICCR proceeds west, turning north onto the Crandic line at Yocum Connection, often meeting the eastbound CBBI there. By this time, BICB is usually done at Iowa City, and either holds for CBBI in the yard, or proceeds west and meets BICB somewhere en route. CBBI pulls into Iowa City and works the yard in the mid to late afternoon, and BICB pulls into Newton in the late afternoon or evening. Meanwhile, once ICCR completes its work at the Cedar Rapids interchange, it works back down to Yocum and heads back east into Iowa City, where it comes in usually after the CBBI has completed its work and departed east. Thrown into this mix are also the Newton Switcher that works industries in and around Newton, and the Iowa City switcher, which runs pretty much anywhere between Marengo and Wilton
.
Added lines 1-7:
(:notitle:)
(:menulocation Railfan Guide:Subdivision 3:)
[!IAIS Subdivision 3!]

Most of the Third Subdivision came into being as the Mississippi & Missouri, after they completed the Davenport to Iowa City segment in 1855. Progress was slow, however, and by the end of 1865, a decade later, the line only reached Kellogg. With the Civil War drawing to a close and the so-called Transcontinental Railroad being built west from Omaha, the Chicago & Rock Island could wait on the M&M no more. They purchased the line in 1866, had it extended to Des Moines by 1867, and completed into Council Bluffs by 11-May-1869, a day after the Transcontinental is completed in Utah. The line became part of the core Rock Island system over time, providing a connection to the Union Pacific mainline at Omaha as well as providing the shortest connection to the Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado parts of the Rock system. The line fell into bankruptcy in 1980, between 1981 and 1984 was operated by the Iowa Railroad, and in 1984 was sold to Heartland Corp, who subsequently created Iowa Interstate to operate it.

In the Iowa Interstate era, two major changes have occurred with the route. The first was the Newton yard relocation. Originally located near the heart of town, it was moved out to the northeastern edge sometime in the late 1990s (1997?). This was done to make room for Maytag expansion for their new corporate headquarters and additional parking. The new yard includes the new Lee Horst Transportation Center, which in addition to providing intermodal services, also includes a small shop facility. The facility is named in honor of Lee Horst, a former General Road Foreman on IAIS and career railroad man who passed on in 2002.
IAIS engine iconAll images on this site are copyrighted by their respective creators, and used with permission.
All Iowa Interstate logos and trademarks are property of Iowa Interstate Railroad, Ltd. and Railroad Development Corporation.
Questions? Comments? Please email us at contact@iaisrailfans.org
  Last modified on December 21, 2010, at 09:19 PM
Edit Page | Page History