Main.Subdivision4 History

Hide minor edits - Show changes to output

October 22, 2015, at 06:17 AM by ErikRasmussen -
Changed line 18 from:
The third small branch on this segment, the Oakland Branch, has been scaled back and only exists in Hancock, but originally served Oakland. The line was originally built by the Avoca, Macedonia and South Western Railroad in 1879, and was absorbed by the Rock Island only a year later in late 1880. Originally stretching down to near Sidney, IA, and north to the original Rock mainline at Avoca, IA, the line was cut up into segments over the years. The line was cut south of Hancock in the 1950s, and everything north of Hancock was scrapped in the 1970s. Today the branch serves a large grain customer in Hancock, north of the mainline, that loads unit grain (shuttle) trains to the BNSF. What's left of the Oakland Branch ends on the south side of the mainline and was last used for car storage.
to:
The third small branch on this segment, the Oakland Branch, has been scaled back and only exists in Hancock. The line was originally built by the Avoca, Macedonia and South Western Railroad in 1879, and was absorbed by the Rock Island only a year later in late 1880. Originally stretching down to near Sidney, IA, and north to the original Rock mainline at Avoca, IA, the line was cut up into segments over the years. The line was cut south of Hancock in the 1950s, and everything north of Hancock was scrapped in the 1970s. Today the branch serves a large grain customer in Hancock, north of the mainline, that loads unit grain (shuttle) trains to the BNSF. What's left of the Oakland Branch ends on the south side of the mainline and was last used for car storage.
October 22, 2015, at 06:17 AM by ErikRasmussen -
Changed lines 18-19 from:
The third small branch on this segment - a tiny piece (4.5 miles) between Hancock Jct. and Oakland, IA - continues to this day, though I don't believe there are any revenue customers left on it. The line was originally built by the Avoca, Macedonia and South Western Railroad in 1879, and was absorbed by the Rock Island only a year later in late 1880. Originally stretching down to near Sidney, IA, and north to the original Rock mainline at Avoca, IA, the line was cut up into segments over the years. The line was cut south of Hancock in the 1950s, and everything north of Hancock was scrapped in the 1970s. The branch is in relatively bad shape, and every time I've visited it, it's been populated with cars in storage.
to:
The third small branch on this segment, the Oakland Branch, has been scaled back and only exists in Hancock, but originally served Oakland. The line was originally built by the Avoca, Macedonia and South Western Railroad in 1879, and was absorbed by the Rock Island only a year later in late 1880. Originally stretching down to near Sidney, IA, and north to the original Rock mainline at Avoca, IA, the line was cut up into segments over the years. The line was cut south of Hancock in the 1950s, and everything north of Hancock was scrapped in the 1970s. Today the branch serves a large grain customer in Hancock, north of the mainline, that loads unit grain (shuttle) trains to the BNSF. What's left of the Oakland Branch ends on the south side of the mainline and was last used for car storage.
Changed line 52 from:
[s]459.3 | Hancock Jct. | | Yes|Junction with 4.5 mile Oakland-Hancock spur
to:
[s]459.3 | Hancock Jct. | | Yes|Junction with former Oakland Branch
Changed line 86 from:
'''Timetable Legend:'''
to:
''Timetable Legend:''
Changed line 89 from:
(:cell:)[-= Station-]
to:
(:cell:)[-= Station-]   
Changed line 91 from:
(:cell:)[-= Points of Interest-]
to:
(:cell:)[-= Points of Interest-]   
Changed line 93 from:
(:cell:)[-= Abandoned-]
to:
(:cell:)[-= Abandoned-]   
Changed line 95 from:
(:cell:)[-= Trackage Rights-]
to:
(:cell:)[-= Trackage Rights-]   
Changed line 87 from:
(:table width="600px":)
to:
(:table:)
Changed line 94 from:
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)
to:
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)   
Changed lines 88-91 from:
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)[-Station-]
(:cell
class="tt-legend-info":)[-Points of Interest-]
(
:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)[-Abandoned-]
(
:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)[-Trackage Rights-]
to:
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)   
(:cell:)[-
= Station-]
(
:cell class="tt-legend-info":)   
(:cell:)[-
= Points of Interest-]
(
:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)   
(:cell:)[-
= Abandoned-]
(
:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)
(:cell:)[-=
Trackage Rights-]
Changed line 86 from:
""Timetable Legend:""
to:
'''Timetable Legend:'''
Changed lines 88-91 from:
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)Station
(:cell class="tt-legend-info":)Points of Interest
(:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)Abandoned
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)Trackage Rights
to:
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)[-Station-]
(:cell class="tt-legend-info":)[-Points of Interest-]
(:cell class="tt-legend-abdn":)[-Abandoned-]
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)[-Trackage Rights-]
Changed line 86 from:
''''Timetable Legend:''''
to:
""Timetable Legend:""
Changed line 86 from:
''''Timetable Legend:''''\\
to:
''''Timetable Legend:''''
Changed line 86 from:
!!!Timetable Legend
to:
''''Timetable Legend:''''\\
Changed line 87 from:
(:table:)
to:
(:table width="600px":)
Changed line 91 from:
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights:)Trackage Rights
to:
(:cell class="tt-legend-rights":)Trackage Rights
Deleted line 86:
>>id=timetable<<
Changed lines 88-103 from:
(:cellnr:)
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Station
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
to:
(:cellnr class="tt-legend-station":)Station
(:cell class="tt-legend-info":)Points of Interest
(:cell
class="tt-legend-abdn":)Abandoned
(:cell
class="tt-legend-rights:)Trackage Rights
Deleted line 92:
>><<
Changed lines 90-92 from:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Station
(:tableend:)
to:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Station
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 94-96 from:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:tableend:)
to:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 98-100 from:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:tableend:)
to:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 102-104 from:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
to:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 89-94 from:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Regular Station
to:
(:cellnr:)
(:table:)
(:cellnr:)
%apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Station
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
Added lines 96-98:
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
Added lines 100-102:
(:tableend:)
(:cell:)
(:table:)
Added line 104:
(:tableend:)
Changed line 33 from:
[s]346.9 | Altoona | | Yes|Junction with [[Subdivision 4A]][[<<]][[Gallery:AltoonaIowa | Altoona photos]]
to:
[s]346.9 | Altoona | | Yes|Junction with [[#Subdivision4A|Subdivision 4A]][[<<]][[Gallery:AltoonaIowa | Altoona photos]]
Changed line 50 from:
[s]440.7 | Audubon Jct. | | |Junction with Subdivision 4B
to:
[s]440.7 | Audubon Jct. | | |Junction with [[#Subdivision4B|Subdivision 4B]]
Changed line 58 from:
to:
[[#Subdivision4A]]
Added line 71:
[[#Subdivision4B]]
Changed line 85 from:
[!Timetable Legend!]
to:
!!!Timetable Legend
Changed line 85 from:
!!!Timetable Legend
to:
[!Timetable Legend!]
Changed lines 89-91 from:
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-info% Points of Interest
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
to:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
Changed lines 89-91 from:
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
to:
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-info% Points of Interest
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
Changed line 85 from:
[!Timetable Legend!]
to:
!!!Timetable Legend
Changed line 89 from:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
to:
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
Changed line 91 from:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
to:
(:cell:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
Deleted line 85:
Added lines 85-94:
[!Timetable Legend!]

>>id=timetable<<
(:table:)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Regular Station
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Points of Interest
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Abandoned
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% %apply=cell class=tt-station% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
>><<
Deleted lines 83-99:

----

[tt]Timetable Key
[s] | Standard | | |
[i] | Interesting points (unofficial) | | |
[a] | Abandoned | | |
[r] | Trackage Rights | | |
[ttend]

(:table:)
(:cellnr:)TIMETABLE KEY
(:cellnr class=tt-station:) %apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station
(:cellnr class=tt-info:) %apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)
(:cellnr class=tt-abdn:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cellnr class=tt-rights:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 96-100 from:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
(:cellnr:) %apply=row id=myid bgcolor=pink% cell content
to:
(:cellnr class=tt-station:) %apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station
(:cellnr class=tt-info:) %apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)
(:cellnr class=tt-abdn:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cellnr class=tt-rights:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
Added line 100:
(:cellnr:) %apply=row id=myid bgcolor=pink% cell content
Changed lines 94-98 from:
|| TIMETABLE KEY ||
||
%apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station||
||
%apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)||
||
%apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned||
||
%apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights||
to:
(:table:)
(:cellnr:)TIMETABLE
KEY
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned
(:cellnr:) %apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights
(:tableend:)
Changed lines 95-98 from:
||%apply=row class=tt-station%Standard Station||
||%apply=row class=tt-info%Interesting Points (unofficial)||
||%apply=row class=tt-abdn%Abandoned||
||%apply=row class=tt-rights%Trackage Rights||
to:
||%apply=row class=tt-station% Standard Station||
||%apply=row class=tt-info% Interesting Points (unofficial)||
||%apply=row class=tt-abdn% Abandoned||
||%apply=row class=tt-rights% Trackage Rights||
Added lines 93-99:

|| TIMETABLE KEY ||
||%apply=row class=tt-station%Standard Station||
||%apply=row class=tt-info%Interesting Points (unofficial)||
||%apply=row class=tt-abdn%Abandoned||
||%apply=row class=tt-rights%Trackage Rights||
Added lines 84-85:

----
Changed line 88 from:
[s] | Abandoned | | |
to:
[a] | Abandoned | | |
Added line 90:
[ttend]
Added lines 85-89:
[tt]Timetable Key
[s] | Standard | | |
[i] | Interesting points (unofficial) | | |
[s] | Abandoned | | |
[r] | Trackage Rights | | |
Deleted line 75:
[a]115.6 | Pella, IA | 1970| Yes|Otley-Pella abandoned 1998, torn out 99-00
Changed line 50 from:
[s]440.9 | Audubon Jct. | | |Junction with Subdivision 4B
to:
[s]440.7 | Audubon Jct. | | |Junction with Subdivision 4B
Changed line 14 from:
Subdivision 4B, also known as the Audubon Branch, was the other long branch originally connected with the IAIS system. Breaking off the mainline at Atlantic, IA, it went 25 miles north to Audubon, IA, and was abandoned in 1995 for lack of traffic. Originally this was to be the home of the Purple Martin steam-powered tourist train, which was based at Lorah (the station near the I-80 / US-71 interchange), but the owner of the equipment suffered a fatal heart attack in the late 1980s. Plans for the train fell apart from there, and the equipment sat in a small yard visible from the freeway for many years afterwards. The crown of the collection was CB&Q Hudson 3007, which is now safely stored at the Illinois Railroad Museum. As of September 1995, the equipment had all been sold, and shortly after moving it all out, the branch was abandoned and scrapped.
to:
Subdivision 4B, also known as the Audubon Branch, was the other long branch originally connected with the IAIS system. Breaking off the mainline at Atlantic, IA, it went 25 miles north to Audubon, IA, and was approved for abandonment on 8-Aug-1995 due to a complete lack of traffic. Originally this was to be the home of the Purple Martin steam-powered tourist train, which was based at Lorah (the station near the I-80 / US-71 interchange), but the owner of the equipment suffered a fatal heart attack in the late 1980s. Plans for the train fell apart from there, and the equipment sat in a small yard visible from the freeway for many years afterwards. The crown of the collection was CB&Q Hudson 3007, which is now safely stored at the Illinois Railroad Museum. As of September 1995, the equipment had all been sold. Shortly after moving it all out, the branch was abandoned and scrapped.
Added lines 15-16:

The STB decision for the Audubon Branch abandonment be found [[Attach:audubon-abandonment.pdf | here]].
Added lines 8-12:

The Pella Branch was abandoned in two sections - first from Otley to Pella in 1998, and then from Prairie City to Otley in 2000.
* STB Decision for Abandonment, Otley to Pella, 7-Aug-1998 - [[Attach:otley-pella-abandonment.pdf | PDF]]
* STB Decision for Abandonment, Prairie City to Otley, 20-Oct-2000 - [[Attach:prairiecity-otley-abandonment.pdf | PDF]]
Changed line 2 from:
(:menulocation Railfan Guide:Subdivision 4:)
to:
(:menulocation Operations:Subdivision 4:)
Changed lines 17-78 from:
(:galembed WalcottIowa:)
to:
[tt]IOWA INTERSTATE RAILROAD - FOURTH SUBDIVISION
[notes]NEWTON, IA, TO COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA
[notes]Maximum Speed
: 40 MPH Length: 165.5 miles
[notes]Entire line Track Warrant Control
[notes]Radio: IAIS - 161.220 MHz and 160.305 MHz
[s]151.5 | Altoona, IA | | Yes|Junction with [[Subdivision 4]]
[s]322.5 | Newton, IA | 6100| Yard|Junction with [[Subdivision 3]]
[s]334.7 | Colfax | 5980| Yes|
[s]340.6 | Mitchellville | | Yes|
[s]346.9 | Altoona | | Yes|Junction with [[Subdivision 4A]][[<<]][[Gallery:AltoonaIowa | Altoona photos]]
[s]353.2 | East Des Moines | | Yes|
[s]355.9 | Des Moines | 1330| Yes|UP Interchange (Shortline Yard Track 29
)[[<<]]BNSF/NS Interchange[[<<]]Junction with [[Grimes Line]]
[s]365.0 | West Des Moines | | |
[s]372.7 | Booneville | 6030| Yes|
[s]379.8 | DeSoto | | Yes|
[s]385.5 | Winear | 1100| |
[s]387.4 | Earlham | 6005| Yes|
[s]393.0 | Dexter | | Yes|
[s]398.2 | Stuart | 4175| Yes|
[s]401.5 | East Menlo | 4585| |
[s]403.1 | Menlo | | Yes|
[s]410.1 | Casey | 2220| Yes|
[s]416.8 | Adair | | Yes|
[s]425.5 | Anita | 4980| Yes|
[s]432.5 | Wiota | | Yes|
[s]439.9 | Atlantic | 6200| Yard|
[s]440.9 | Audubon Jct. | | |Junction with Subdivision 4B
[s]455.6 | Hillis | 4190| Yes|
[s]459.3 | Hancock Jct. | | Yes|Junction with 4.5 mile Oakland-Hancock spur
[s]474.7 | Peter | | |Siding removed in 1999
[s]476.6 | McClelland | | Yes|
[s]488.0 | Council Bluffs | | Yard|Western terminus of IAIS[[<<]]UP/BNSF interchange
[ttend]


[tt]IOWA INTERSTATE RAILROAD - SUBDIVISION 4A
[notes]ALTOONA, IA, TO PELLA, IA
[notes]Maximum Speed: 25 MPH Length: 14.8 miles active, 21.4 miles abandoned
[notes]Entire line Track Warrant Control
[notes]Radio: IAIS - 161.220 MHz and 160.305 MHz
[s]151.5 | Altoona, IA | | Yes|Junction with [[Subdivision 4]]
[s]138.3 | Prairie City | | Yes|Current end of track at MP 137 as of 2001
[a]129.1 | Monroe | | Yes|Prairie City - Otley abandoned 2000, torn out 2001
[a]123.6 | Otley | | Yes|Prairie City - Otley abandoned 2000, torn out 2001
[a]115.6 | Pella, IA | 1970| Yes|Otley-Pella abandoned 1998, torn out 99-00
[ttend]

[tt]IOWA INTERSTATE RAILROAD - SUBDIVISION 4B
[notes]ATLANTIC, IA, TO AUDUBON, IA
[notes]Maximum Speed: 10 MPH Length: ~2 miles active, 22.4 miles abandoned
[notes]Entire line Track Warrant Control
[notes]Radio: IAIS - 161.220 MHz and 160.305 MHz
[a]115.6 | Pella, IA | 1970| Yes|Otley-Pella abandoned 1998, torn out 99-00
[s]440.7 | Audubon Jct | | |Junction with [[Subdivision 4]]
[s]442.9 | Moorman | | Yes|Current end of track as of 1995
[i]446.7 | Lorah | | |[-'''Approximate MP, not official IAIS station'''-]
[a]452.0 | Brayton | | |Abandoned late 1995
[a]455.7 | Exira | | |Abandoned late 1995
[a]463.0 | Nishna | | |Abandoned late 1995
[a]465.1 | Audubon, IA | | |Abandoned late 1995
[ttend]
Added lines 16-17:

(:galembed WalcottIowa:)
Changed line 5 from:
The Fourth Subdivision was constructed originally by the Chicago & Rock Island, starting at the east end in mid-1867. As an extension of their line east from Chicago (which today is the First and Third Subs), it reached Des Moines in 1867, and was completed into Council Bluffs by 11-May-1869, a day after the Transcontinental was completed in Utah. The line became part of the core Rock Island system over time, providing a connection to the Union Pacific mainline at Omaha as well as providing the shortest connection to the Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado parts of the Rock system. A large portion of the line between Atlantic and Council Bluffs was realigned as the Atlantic Cutoff in 1953. The old line through Marne, Walnut, Avoca, Minden, Neola, and Underwood was subsequently abandoned due to its slow speeds and longer path. The Rock, however, fell into bankruptcy in 1980, between 1981 and 1984 was operated by the Iowa Railroad, and in 1984 was sold to Heartland Rail Partners, who subsequently created Iowa Interstate to operate it.
to:
%lframe% Attach:sub4-titleimg.jpg %%The Fourth Subdivision was constructed originally by the Chicago & Rock Island, starting at the east end in mid-1867. As an extension of their line east from Chicago (which today is the First and Third Subs), it reached Des Moines in 1867, and was completed into Council Bluffs by 11-May-1869, a day after the Transcontinental was completed in Utah. The line became part of the core Rock Island system over time, providing a connection to the Union Pacific mainline at Omaha as well as providing the shortest connection to the Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado parts of the Rock system. A large portion of the line between Atlantic and Council Bluffs was realigned as the Atlantic Cutoff in 1953. The old line through Marne, Walnut, Avoca, Minden, Neola, and Underwood was subsequently abandoned due to its slow speeds and longer path. The Rock, however, fell into bankruptcy in 1980, between 1981 and 1984 was operated by the Iowa Railroad, and in 1984 was sold to Heartland Rail Partners, who subsequently created Iowa Interstate to operate it.
Added lines 8-15:

Subdivision 4B, also known as the Audubon Branch, was the other long branch originally connected with the IAIS system. Breaking off the mainline at Atlantic, IA, it went 25 miles north to Audubon, IA, and was abandoned in 1995 for lack of traffic. Originally this was to be the home of the Purple Martin steam-powered tourist train, which was based at Lorah (the station near the I-80 / US-71 interchange), but the owner of the equipment suffered a fatal heart attack in the late 1980s. Plans for the train fell apart from there, and the equipment sat in a small yard visible from the freeway for many years afterwards. The crown of the collection was CB&Q Hudson 3007, which is now safely stored at the Illinois Railroad Museum. As of September 1995, the equipment had all been sold, and shortly after moving it all out, the branch was abandoned and scrapped.

The third small branch on this segment - a tiny piece (4.5 miles) between Hancock Jct. and Oakland, IA - continues to this day, though I don't believe there are any revenue customers left on it. The line was originally built by the Avoca, Macedonia and South Western Railroad in 1879, and was absorbed by the Rock Island only a year later in late 1880. Originally stretching down to near Sidney, IA, and north to the original Rock mainline at Avoca, IA, the line was cut up into segments over the years. The line was cut south of Hancock in the 1950s, and everything north of Hancock was scrapped in the 1970s. The branch is in relatively bad shape, and every time I've visited it, it's been populated with cars in storage.

A fourth, often forgotten, branch exists on the Fourth Sub, known as the Grimes Line. This 11-mile branch, breaking from the IAIS mainline in downtown Des Moines, travels northwest through Clive to the outlying suburb of Grimes, IA. It's actually owned by the Norfolk Southern (yes, the NS reached Des Moines, via the old Wabash at one point), but IAIS is the contracted operator, since it's isolated from the rest of the NS system by a long stretch of BNSF trackage rights. The original Wabash main is long since abandoned. Originally the line went through, but since the 1970s has ended at Grimes. The Des Moines switcher is responsible for servicing customers along this route, with the primary customers being Pitt Des Moines (a steel fabricator) in Clive and Beisser Lumber in Grimes.

Today's Fourth Subdivision operations largely occur at night. CBBI leaves Council Bluffs eastbound in the late evening. Its counterpart, the BICB from the previous day, rolls westbound over the sub in the wee morning hours, arriving at Council Bluffs in the early morning hours (0600h - 0800h). The Council Bluffs switcher, however, is out in the Council Bluffs yard during the day, and often runs up as far as Hancock to collect or deliver grain hoppers to the elevators. Also the yard is the site of IAIS's heavy locomotive maintenance facility, which is easily seen and photographed from South Avenue. Also, the Des Moines switcher is out during the day, servicing the Grimes branch, the Prairie City line, and local industries around Des Moines. Also, in addition to the IAIS traffic, Union Pacific detours across the Fourth are not uncommon, arriving at Council Bluffs and departing the IAIS at Shortline Junction in Des Moines, or vice versa.
Changed line 3 from:
[*IAIS Subdivision 4*]
to:
[!IAIS Subdivision 4!]
Added lines 1-7:
(:notitle:)
(:menulocation Railfan Guide:Subdivision 4:)
[*IAIS Subdivision 4*]

The Fourth Subdivision was constructed originally by the Chicago & Rock Island, starting at the east end in mid-1867. As an extension of their line east from Chicago (which today is the First and Third Subs), it reached Des Moines in 1867, and was completed into Council Bluffs by 11-May-1869, a day after the Transcontinental was completed in Utah. The line became part of the core Rock Island system over time, providing a connection to the Union Pacific mainline at Omaha as well as providing the shortest connection to the Nebraska, Kansas, and Colorado parts of the Rock system. A large portion of the line between Atlantic and Council Bluffs was realigned as the Atlantic Cutoff in 1953. The old line through Marne, Walnut, Avoca, Minden, Neola, and Underwood was subsequently abandoned due to its slow speeds and longer path. The Rock, however, fell into bankruptcy in 1980, between 1981 and 1984 was operated by the Iowa Railroad, and in 1984 was sold to Heartland Rail Partners, who subsequently created Iowa Interstate to operate it.

The Fourth Sub also has the dubious honor of having some of the only large sections of trackage that were abandoned by Iowa Interstate. Subdivision 4A, otherwise known as the Pella Branch, connected onto the main Fourth Sub at Altoona, IA, and proceeded southeast to Pella, IA, home of one of IAIS's original backers - Pella Rolscreen Corp., maker of Pella windows and doors. The branch is now stubbed off near Prairie City, with the rails removed for the rest of the way to Pella. Officially, the line between Otley and Pella was embargoed 6-Oct-1996 due to poor track conditions, and formal abandonment permission was granted on 7-Aug-1998. The rails were pulled on the segment in early 2000. The next segment - Prairie City to Otley - was formally approved for abandonment on 21-Nov-2000, and rails were pulled on that segment shortly thereafter. Service, however, continues to the grain elevator at Prairie City.
IAIS engine iconAll images on this site are copyrighted by their respective creators, and used with permission.
All Iowa Interstate logos and trademarks are property of Iowa Interstate Railroad, Ltd. and Railroad Development Corporation.
Questions? Comments? Please email us at contact@iaisrailfans.org
  Last modified on October 22, 2015, at 06:17 AM
Edit Page | Page History